Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines pun as:
– The usually humorous use of a word in such a way as to suggest two or more of its meanings or the meaning of another word similar in sound.
- Suppose you’re sitting in a dentist’s office, waiting for a root canal. You are flipping through one of those glossy magazines listlessly, trying to not pay attention to the strident whirring of the drill in the cubicle next to yours.
Your eyes light up on a commercial that has a clever play with words. Don’t you laugh for a few seconds, forgetting where you are?
- You are stuck in a traffic jam. (You know, the kind that makes you want to begin composing your own obituary?) Suddenly, your car radio plays a really funny commercial, or you slowly inch by a billboard with a witty saying on it.
Doesn’t that relieve some of your stress and make your hunched-up shoulders slope down just a little?
Words when strung together right can really make magic.
Whenever I drive by a board carrying a humorous message, I immediately feel a kinship with the person who came up with that line. The line says to me: here’s someone who takes their words seriously!
I have come across some of the best lines so far on the faces of rickety old-style manual black-giant-letters-over-white-board kind of billboards standing next to nondescript local businesses like mom-and-pop stores and animal clinics.
Hmm… may be there is some correlation between running your own business and a quirky sense of humor?
I have come across these lines in the last few weeks.
- On the side of a garbage collecting company’s truck:
We dig trash.
- Manwich (which now has one serving of veggies in it, ostensibly) commercial:
Meat your vegetables.
- On the electronic billboard of a Cleaners’:
Questions? Call us. We talk dirty.
- On the billboard of a local animal clinic:
Dog refusing his meals? Bring him in. We’ll help you vet his appetite.
- Commercial for Michelin Tire:
When it pours it reigns.
- Doormat in front of a house with one too many dogs for pets:
Beware! Dog cannot hold its licker!
- On the pamphlet for a local nursery:
We are so excited about spring that we wet our plants!
- On the billboard of an Auto Repair Shop:
Alignment problems? Let us set you straight.
Aren’t they punny? :)
They sure helped add some color and break up the monotony of my days when I came across them.
Have any favorite funny lines of your own? Please, share them with us!
P.S: Wondering why the color post today? It is depressingly wet and overcast outside right now. I have no control over the weather, so I thought why not bring some color to at least one of those areas that I do control? :)